The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (MOFA) has released this online pdf report showing concrete examples of the climate adaptation actions that their government does.
These climate adaptation measures were implemented in developing countries in Asia, Small Island Developing States (SIDS) in the Pacific, African nations like Ethiopia and Kenya, and in Cuba.
These climate adaptation measures range from assisting in the formulation of climate policies, financial assistance through emergency credit in disaster-hit countries; rehabilitation and recovery of infrastructures; drinking water management and preservation skills; meteorological training; to providing of human resources.
Below are some of the climate adaptation examples from the report:
- Help Indonesia formulate their National Action Plan on Climate Change Adaptation by providing them technological assistance on adaptive land use and rice farming;
- Provision of rope pumps for drinking water and its distribution in Ethiopia;
- Helping Havana City, Cuba evaluate potential effects of seawater intrusion;
- Tree-planting techniques in Kenya, and assisting them in selecting drought-tolerant trees;
- Assist SIDS, and Caribbean countries develop and implement climate change policies, improving their disaster risk reduction capacity, water preservation skills, and meteorological training to strengthen their weather forecasting services;
- In the Philippines, provide the stand-by emergency credit, which was useful during the recovery phase of Typhoon Yolanda in November 2013, and rehabilitation and recovery projects to help typhoon damaged communities.
- Help Vietnam design and implement integrated flood control plans and bolster disaster alert and evacuation systems;
- Provide climate data and projections and human resources for climate adaptation planning and strategies during and after disasters.
To view the full climate adaptation report, CLICK on the link below:
Japan’s Adaptation Initiatives – Concrete Examples. (2014 November). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. The Government of Japan. [Pdf]. Retrieved from https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/000062532.pdf